Thursday, March 18, 2010

In Search of the Elusive Barred Owl

A few days ago, a little before 5 am, I heard the hoot of the Barred Owl.  There is no mistaking this bird's call...often described as sounding like "Who cooks for you?"

Two days later, as evening approached, I heard the hoot of the Barred Owl while a friend and I were sitting on the deck.

So, my friend and I took off for the nature area near my house to see if we could spot the owl.  When we arrived, a woman with binoculars was leaving.  I asked if she had seen the owl, and she said "Yes!"  She described in detail where the owl was sitting.  So my friend and I entered the woods hoping for a sighting.

Within about the first 60 seconds, I spotted a Red-Tailed Hawk in a tree. Unfortunately, the lighting was not in my favor for taking a crisp photo...but when the bird flew away, we knew for sure it was a Red Tail.


As we approached the pond, there was a pair of Mallards. The male lifted his head, realized we were "OK" and went back to sleep.

Finally, we approached the area where the owl was supposed to be. Try as we might, we never spotted the owl.

Hopefully, I will get to see this very vocal owl...if so, I will post the photo!

Carole
[Text and photos copyright Carole of Cloudk9.com  All rights reserved.]

No comments:

Post a Comment